Tuesday

Lesson 10 - "ju" - Something Fishy is Going On....

I make a mean tuna fish sandwich. I tell you, I do. However, my favorite way to eat tuna is raw. Blech, you say? Raw fish you say? This is what I say back ...Sushi!!!! The Tsukiji Fish market in Tokyo is where restaurants buy their fresh, yummy tuna. I got up waaaaayyyy early to make sure I was there before the 5:30am auction. All the white hunks are whole, frozen tunas. The men with signs on their caps and papers in their hands are the buyers. They hope to get a good price at the action. Each tuna had a flap cut off near the tail. The buyers examined the fish looking for the best quality. Tourists are allowed in a certain area and we were squeezed in tight. This man was walking around with a sign. I took a picture of him with a flash…. So sorry..bow, bow... so sorry...bow. I turned off my flash! Ohhhh...Ohh... he is ringing the bell!
It is starting!


I love how the auctioneer is so into his work! Once the fish are sold the men take huge hooks to drag the frozen fish across the concrete floor and put them on carts to deliver them. This tuna has been deliver to one of the vendor’s stalls. They cut it all apart so it can be served like this When given the chance I'd eat sushi at every meal. Scroll to the middle of the page and watch the chef prepare the sushi you choose.