Tuesday

Lesson 12 - "ju ni" - We Eat Well!

We are a good team. When we travel together we try new things. We know that to try something new, even if it is strange or unusual, means get a better understanding of the way life is in different places.
Today let's dine! I'm up for a japanese breakfast. You, my friend, are brave. Natto, a popular Japanese breakfast food, is fermented soybeans. Shall we say it is an "aquired" taste? Oh, thanks. I’ll take a small bite. Hummm…. Interesting. It’s lunch time. Let’s look at the plastic food in the windows. Nothing catches my fancy here, but I’m up for sushi. Don’t forget to wash your hands with the wet towel then neatly fold it in front of you. No napkins here. At this restaurant, just pick up the dish with the food that interests you. We’ll pay by the plate when we are finished.

You took a plate of squid.

May I prepare some green tea for you? First I’ll put in the green tea powder.

Now I’ll add the hot water. Drink your green tea plain. No sugar. No milk.

I’d like a sweet treat. Let’s head to that tea house.I have no clue what this, but I'm trying it.

Thanks for offering me Buddha’s head cake. It is filled with a sweet red bean paste.

At this restaurant we take off our shoes at the door and sit at a low table on tatami mats.

There is not a word of English on the menu. Hummmm….... Let’s point at the skewered sticks called yakitori in the case and hope for the best.

Our pork and chicken yakitori came with some side dishe -soft tofu, prawns and the smallest cucumber - ever- with squid.


Will you take a picture of all of us and our sweet waitress? I hope she had as much fun as we did!


I’m full. I need to go to bed. Good night.