Tuesday

Lesson 7 - "shichi" - The Quest for a Kennedy Kimono

Yukiko Niishi is a professional kimono wrapping teacher and I'm lucky to call her my friend! When my daughter, Grace, was born Nishii-san (Japanese for Mrs. Nishii) sent a small kimono to wear. Grace loved it and wore it for three Halloweens. In this picture Miss G is three. The word kimono actually means 'clothing’ but generally it refers to traditional Japanese clothes. On a daily basis, Japanese wear clothes like we do. They save kimonos for special occasions.
This woman wore a kimono and showed us a “kabuki” dance. There are no pockets in a kimono. Do you see how the dancer held her fan? Although different, men wear kimono too. This man explained “kyogen”, traditional Japanese theater. Kids wear kimonos. I saw these little ones at a shrine. They were there for a special ceremony for three and five year olds. Do you notice the little girl is holding her fan the same way the dancer did? Her sleeves are very long. Long sleeves means "not married". Short sleeves means "married". Sumo wrestlers wear kimono. These big guys were on their way to a national wrestling match. And Kennedys wear kimono too! This is me! I asked Nishii-san to help me find a kimono to bring back to the U.S. I was a bit nervous, because kimono can be VERY expensive. They took me to this store.

I had lots of choices but I think I found two perfect Kennedy kimonos. What do you think? Later in the afternoon we went to Nishii-san’s house for a kimono wrapping lesson. First, I put on my kimono left side over right. Next, I had to adjust the fabric so it was the correct length and not dragging all over the floor. The final step was putting on the obi, a wide fabric belt. This was the hardest part. No zippers. No snaps. No buttons or clips. Tying an obi is all about folding. Thank goodness Nishii-san created a book for me to take home. Nishii-san wore this beautiful formal style kimono to her son's wedding. Would you like to watch her wrap it? Me too! So sorry. You are going to have to turn your head sideways for the first video. It starts with white kimono under dressing. Now she puts on the outer kimono.
Then she folds and wraps around the obi.
She completes the obi paying attention to details.
Finishing touches.

Click here to design your own kimono!