Tuesday

Lesson 2 - "ni"- Taiko Drums

Taiko drums are traditional japanese drums. In the olden days - and I mean old, Japan has been around for thousands of years longer than the United States - the edge of a village was marked by the furthest point from which the village taiko could be heard. During times of war, taiko drums were used to motivate troops, help set a marching pace and even communicate orders.

In my host city, Takeo, there was a taiko drum troop at the town festival. This is what caught my attention first. The BIG drums. These are called nakado-daiko.


There were also smaller drums called shime-daiko.


As the men played they worked hard and were sweating. We were right up close. I could feel the sound in my chest! Can you?


For the last song the musicians wore a traditional japanese loin cloth called "fundoshi". Wearing fundoshi allowed the drummers to move around very easily as they preformed. The largest taiko drum was being played from both sides!


The next day at Takeo Middle School I got a taiko drum lesson. They teach many traditional instruments at this middle school. First I tried the shime-daiko.



Then I played the big nakado-daiko.


Click here to learn how to make a modern day taiko drum. Maybe I'll make a taiko drum to use at my house. I'd use it to communicate like they did in ancient Japan. I'd let the kids know it's dinner time ...or tell my husband know I forgot to pick up milk at the grocery store...or....